Physicians specializing in sports medicine help with injuries related to sports, fitness and exercise. They can diagnose and treat injuries to the muscle, ligament, bone and tendon. Common reasons to see them include concussion, ACL tears, shin splints and muscles strains, among others.
Sports medicine specialists in Denver
When sports injuries sideline you, our specialists get you back in action.
In Colorado's Rocky Mountain region, OrthoONE's sports medicine experts see athletes of all ages. Whether your injury is due to an accident or overuse, we offer numerous treatments, staying by your side throughout all stages of your care.
Athletic injuries we treat
Our sports doctors understand your passion and treat a range of sports injuries, including:
- Achilles tendon injuries
- Acromioclavicular joint injuries
- Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tears
- Bicep wear-and-tear injuries
- Bursitis (heel, hip and shoulder)
- Cartilage tears and injuries
- Fractures and broken bones
- Golf elbow
- Groin pulls
- Growth plate injuries
- Hamstring sprains and injuries
- Heel bone spurs
- Hip flexor strains
- Joint instability
- Knee sprains and injuries
- Ligament tears and injuries
- Labrum tears and injuries
- Medial collateral ligament (MCL) injuries
- Meniscus tears and injuries
- Overuse injuries
- Rotator cuff injuries
- Plantar fasciitis
- Post-traumatic osteoarthritis
- Posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) injuries
- Shin splints
- Skier's thumb
- Tennis elbow
Services offered by our sports medicine physicians
Our comprehensive care includes diagnostics, basic treatments, complete joint replacement surgeries and any needed rehabilitation services. We personalize your care to fit your needs and restore your function as fully as possible.
Ankle and foot injuries
Our orthopedists treat injuries with rest, ice, compression and elevation (RICE). If your condition does not improve, we may need to progress to surgical options. Our specialists also advise a gradual increase in the amount and intensity of exercise to prevent relapse and help you recover.
Although hip injuries in sports are not as common as foot, knee and shoulder injuries, they do happen. With the hip, we usually see overuse injuries, including bursitis, groin pulls and hamstring injuries. In addition to nonsurgical care, we also offer hip replacement surgery, but only when absolutely necessary.
As the body's largest joint, the knee is susceptible to forceful turns, jumps, kicks and landings. We offer many treatments —including knee replacement surgery — to help you recover.
Other knee procedures we offer include:
- Arthroscopy — Minimally invasive procedure to repair joints, tendons and ligaments using a small incision and inserting a tiny camera and surgical instruments
- Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) surgery — Surgical procedure to repair or replace the ligament that helps the knee pivot
- Cartilage restoration surgery — Procedure to repair damaged cartilage with either the athlete's own tissue or donated tissue
- Kneecap (patella) instability and dislocation surgery — Surgery to repair, reconstruct or replace the medial patellofemoral ligament
- MCL surgery — Procedure to reattach or reconstruct the ligament on the inner side of the knee connecting the shin and thigh bones
- Meniscus surgery — Surgical procedure to repair the C-shaped cartilage discs between the shin and thighbone
- PCL surgery — Surgery to repair the ligament connecting the back of the thighbone to the front of the shinbone typically using arthroscopy
As an athlete, you may engage in activities involving excessive, repetitive overhead motion, and this can mean you are more prone to shoulder injuries and instability. When you experience such injuries, our physicians provide a full spectrum of nonsurgical and surgical services, including arthroscopy and shoulder replacement surgery.
Pediatric sports medicine
Our physicians are fellowship-trained and recognized as regional experts in pediatric sports medicine. The additional training allows them to meet the unique needs of the pediatric musculoskeletal system. They also have advanced knowledge in treating children's sports injuries.
Overuse sports injuries in kids
We tailor each treatment plan to your child's injury and needs. We also provide rehabilitation services and offer advice on when your young athlete can return to their passion.